Supervises full CNC Department (Chaska Plant). This is a “hands on” position working with employees and equipment. The majority of the job will be supervising, training, troubleshooting and process improvements. There will only be a minimal time spent operating (proto types, short runs, etc.).
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Keep the CNC Department running smoothly – monitor jobs, and schedule, for on time completion, quality and efficiency.
- Knowledge of programming and/or editing of more complex parts. Helping trouble shoot programming if needed.
- Perform all tasks in a safe and responsible manner.
- Troubleshooting jobs that are not running well due to issues with tooling, material, program or operator.
- Use gages and measuring instruments to meet tolerance requirements.
- Ability to setup, program, operate and troubleshoot CNC lathes and mills (VMC & HMC) without assistance.
- Use process improvements to reduce setup time and machining, provide constant feedback and input within the department.
- Must be proficient with FANUC controls, understands, interprets and edits FANUC G-code programming.
- Assist in the organization and maintenance of the machine shop work environment
- Recognize, deploy and properly uses inserts, fixtures and tooling
- Understand and has the ability, to perform tool wear offsets
- Schedule regular cleaning and light maintenance tasks on CNC machinery
- Utilize and abide by ISO requirements and OSHA safety procedures.
- Comply with all quality policies, specifications, regulations and instructions.
- Attend scheduled meetings and actively participates by providing meaningful input.
- Supervise CNC staff – assess team members’ performance and support training and development activities as appropriate to build on strengths and weaknesses.
- Is flexible with time and schedule to assure availability to customer or company as circumstances warrant.
- Perform other tasks as warranted or assigned by management.
- This position has supervisory responsibilities for CNC Set-Up and Operator positions.
- Promotes team environment.
- Assist with all departments in resolving issues related to jobs.
- Employee performance reviews.
The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions with protection from weather conditions with moderate temperature fluctuation. The employee may be exposed to hazards such as metal chips, oils and cutting fluids, and proximity to moving parts which require adherence to safety procedures and use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
Ability to move or transfer products with an overhead crane, pallet jack and/or forklift. Ability to lift 50 lbs. when required. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Ten years related experience and /or training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience to perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
- Proficient with Programming, editing, set-up and troubleshooting of CNC Vertical Mills, Horizontal Mills and Lathes.
- Experience with FANUC programming.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations including the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, geometry & trigonometry to practical situations.
- Knowledge and experience using quality inspection equipment (ex. calipers, micrometers, bore gages, height gages, etc.).
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to communicate with both internal and external customers characterized by honest, professional, respectful communication (verbally & in writing) and effective listening skills.
- Fluency in English verbal and written communication.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately and be self-sufficient.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
- Self-starter with strong leadership skills and ability to work well with others.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Familiarity with ISO standards.