The CNC Operator I produces machined parts by operating a computer numerical controlled (CNC) Lathes and/or Mills with minimal supervision. This position runs production lots, keeps records, communicates with co-workers and managers regarding production runs, and maintains quality and safety standards
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Load and unload materials and parts manually or using appropriate equipment or tools.
- Operate CNC equipment and observe operations with focused attention.
- Advise supervisor of any machine issues, crashes, or needed repairs.
- Operate grinding and related tools to remove excess material or burrs from surfaces.
- Assure quality by inspecting finished parts; report irregularities or tolerance deviations to supervisor or quality control personnel.
- Perform tool wear offsets or change inserts to meet tolerance requirements.
- Monitor progress toward, and meet production goals.
- Follow, create and help maintain work instructions; complete required daily paperwork.
- Maintain equipment and worksite by completing housekeeping, preventive maintenance and daily inspection tasks.
- Perform other tasks as warranted or assigned by management.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions with protection from weather conditions with moderate temperature fluctuation. The employee is exposed to hazards such as metal chips, oils and cutting fluids, and proximity to moving parts which require adherence to safety procedures and use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
The employee is required to have visual acuity to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position including close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to focus. The employee will be regularly required to stand, walk, and reach with their arms. This position requires occasional squatting/kneeling, forward bending, twisting/turning, pushing/pulling, neck rotation or extension, wrist rotation or extension, forearm rotation, grasping and pinching. The employee may occasionally be required to lift and carry up to 70lbs. The employee may be required to move or transfer products with an overhead crane, pallet jack and/or forklift (with license).
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations including the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, geometry & trigonometry to practical situations.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Interpersonal communication skills characterized by honest, professional, respectful communication and effective listening skills.
- Fluency in English verbal and written communication.
- Ability to meet production goals for quality and quantity.
- Possess or willing to obtain hand tools required to perform daily tasks.
- High level of dependability.
- Flexibility with time and schedule, and availability for overtime when required.
- One year related experience, training and/or technical education.
- Proficiency with CNC controls.
- Experience operating CNC lathes and/or mills.
- Experience reading part prints or drawings, and/or machining work orders.
- Experience using standard quality inspection tools and gages.
- Demonstrated problem solving and reasoning ability in a manufacturing environment.
- Forklift experience and/or active forklift certification.